www.desifriends.org, your safety and security are our top priority. We
aim to provide an exciting chatting experience, allowing you to sit
back, relax and talk with your friends to your hearts content.
However, common sense is always required on the internet, and with
chat rooms it is absolutely necessary to look after yourself and be
careful what information you share with others. There are the obvious
essentials - such as not giving out your full name in any situation ?
but there are also the less apparent procedures like not clicking on
website links given to you, and not accepting any form of attempted
file transfer, even if it is via MSN from someone on this service.
Listed here are the key points we believe you should remember and
always stick to when using our chat rooms, or any form of online
1. Some people online are dangerous. They may not necessarily be who you think they are, so you must not tell them your real name, address or give them any personal details or means to contact you off the internet.
2. Do not share details about your routines. Do not tell people which school/college you go to or the places you often visit.
3. We strongly advise you never to initiate a one-on-one meeting with anyone you chat to on the internet. If you HAVE to meet someone, ensure that it is in a public place and an adult or friend you trust is with you.
4. Do not open any website links given to you - they could contain spyware, viruses or disturbing material. If you have already opened such a link, we advise you do a Google search for 'Spybot' and download it.
5. It is worth remembering that desi friends reserves the right to deny access at any time to any user. If we feel that someone is suspicious and may pose a threat to our users, we will not permit them to use our service.
6. Predatory, threatening, harassing or illegal behaviour will not be tolerated and will result in possible police involvement and prosecution.
7. If you have any doubts, report the user or use the ignore feature. This is the golden rule of chatting.
How much you tell people about yourself is incredibly important;
too much information in the wrong hands could make life very difficult
for you. There are some people out there who could continually harass
you via text, phone, e-mail or even turning up to see you in person.
They could potentially cause you mental or physical harm by doing so.
This is why we emphasise that you never give out your phone
number or address. Make sure you don't say anything that makes it
easier for someone to find you. A teenage user of
never give out any more than their real age, gender, county, city and
perhaps their first name.
A one-on-one meet up with someone from an internet chat room is a
large step from simple text based discussion.
WE STRONGLY ADVISE YOU NEVER CONSIDER MEETING UP WITH ANYONE YOU KNOW ONLINE.
If you are certain you want to meet up with someone, make sure that it is in a public place and that you are with someone you trust, preferably an adult.
Never give out your address in a chat session. Publishing an
address in a chat room is even worse; as before, you never know who is
in an internet chat room.
Play it safe, do not give out your home, work or school address.
If you are being targeted or abused and need to report it contact us straight away.
Copyright 2008 - 2012 desifriends.org